ScreenDiscussion

Blogging background checking and security issues

3.21.2005

Who Am I, Anyway?

So I need to make a disclaimer. I am not a lawyer. I am not the owner of a company that does background checks. I simply work in the industry and have exposure to both companies who are hiring people and applicants whose backgrounds are being checked. Given this, I’ve seen that a lot of people have no idea about what some of the issues are surrounding the industry. What do I do? What any normal person would do - I blog about it.

Why am I saying this now? I recently posted a response to a journalist’s article on the ChoicePoint fiasco, not really wanting to get involved but wanting to let her know that she might want to check up on a few things to get more information for her story. She responded and wanted to talk, and foolishly I agreed to speak with her. Foolishly, you say? Yes, because without being a lawyer and without being able to represent a company I can’t really be counted as a quotable source. She understood this as we spoke, but it made me realize that I really need to be careful about what I communicate here and how I present myself. Maybe I need to say something about this at the top of my site.

The purpose of this site is to raise questions about the background checking/employment screening industry and let people know that there might be some issues they need to consider that they might not know about. A lot of what you see here is my personal reflection on what I see going on in the industry. Do not take what I write as unquestionable truth. Be smart and check with your legal counsel before making any important decisions. If something here catches your attention, do some research to verify what you need to know.

I’ll say it again, CHECK WITH YOUR OWN LEGAL COUNSEL before making any real decisions.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:41 PM, Anonymous free criminal background check said…

    I just ran across this post while conducting some research on various free background checks sites. Even though it isn’t exactly what I was searching for, I think the people who visit your post might still be interested in reading my article on free background checks. I try to answer the question: Are there really free background checks sites? Even though it's not what I am looking for, I'm glad I stopped long enough to read -- thanks. Just thought you'd like to know.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home